Friday, June 20, 2008

Music&Lyrics

I love wondering about lyrics. How, exactly, did the writers come up with the idea?

I remember reading an interview with John Mayer, where he was asked who, exactly, his songs were about? He said they were a mixture of experiences with other girls. I thought that was an interesting, surprising, but definitely believable answer.

When I presented that tid-bit to my boyfriend, he said "That's a cop-out. But do you think he would really call out actual girls names? I'm sure he has multiple songs all about one girl."

So when you're boyfriend's a musician, and he sends you lyrics in an email because you're sort of long-distance, and they seem like maybe sort of they're about you, how do you react? I don't want to assume anything, but I do want to praise him and feel flattered.

I dated this guy for like a second
freshman year who was also a musician. He played open mic night all the time, and every time I went with my friend, there was always this one song that made us look at each other suspiciously because it sounded so much like me. I thought it awfully bold and quick of him, since you know, we dated for only a second. So one day my friend asked him if it was, in fact, about me. He scoffed and was like "Um, no. I have dated other girls."

Okay, so my bf is clearly like, totally waaay more rad than this kid. But still, the point is I don't want to assume. The point is, how vain am I really by thinking his lyrics could be about me?

3 comments:

WPZ - Sandy said...

Maybe the mystery of 'is it me? I wonder! *ihope*' is part of the thrill? But then you'd think that someone wouldn't be so lame/audacious to send their long distancish gf lyrics about some OTHER girl. Unless it's more like, introspective examination of the effects of the past rather than a -you-are-so-my-thing-now- kind of deal, in which case, well, maybe it really is just an aesthetic share.

csj50 said...

Um, dude, when John Mayer came out with "Body Is A Wonderland" I totally imagined he was singing it to me. *swoon*

Speaking of Mayer though, he is truly talented. He has amazing writing skills...not just his songs, but have you read his blog? So funny! He's a great writer in general.

Jennifer Aniston is a lucky girl.

rachaelgking said...

Ummm obviously they're about you! Seeing as you're his girlfriend, and he's and sending them to you, and that I'm totally a proponent of believing whatever works out best for moi... :-)