Monday, June 16, 2008

Dreams DO Come True!

When I was just a girl, I had to do something to keep myself entertained on my family's 6-hour car drives to the beach. Since I'm a hopeless romantic, I day-dreamed about the range of boys I saw in the cars we passed on I-95.

I imagined that they would spot me, as equally bored and wistful as they were, and be amazed at me and all my 12-year-old scrawny glory. So naturally, they would hold a sign up to the window of their car with their phone number. Now, back in those days we didn't have cell phones, which just increased the melodramatic-ness of the situation, for I would have had to wait until I got home from vacation to talk on the phone to my lover.

Aw.

I (sort of) out-grew that little day dream, especially since it's so technologically passe. (Last time I shared this day-dream with friends, they imagined someone throwing their cell phone out their window into yours! So that you could put your number into it! That just sounds dangerous to me. Hmm...)

I had dinner last night with one of my lovely loving friends, and she said she had a good boy story, but that it was kind of weird, and she hoped I didn't think she was a horrible person.

She was driving on, whatdoyaknow, I-95 when she noticed she was keeping pace with a crazy SUV darting in and out of the lanes. When she thought SUV, she thought soccer mom, crazy old man, or high schooler who just got her license. But when she happened to glance at the driver, it was a cute guy! They flirted as they weaved in traffic, and after about three or four glances, he actually...held up a sign!!

It wasn't a phone number, though. It was better: "You are beautiful."

After losing and finding each other again, the next sign was his phone number. They've been talking almost every day and are making plans to meet up. Whatdoyaknow, he actually lives close by to her - even though anyone could be driving on 95!

There is hope for love in this world!

1 comment:

WPZ - Sandy said...

1) That is a crazy but exciting story, about your friend. I just hope they weren't endangering anyone with their weaving hijinx, or if they end up together that they will drive TOGETHER and relish their time not needing to rush down the road. ;)

2) I TOTALLY always checked out allllllll the boys when say, on the Walt Disney World resort buses (you stay at the hotels there and you can use their bus system to get between the parks and hotels. We went yearly...) and I'd daydream of writing notes to them and arranging to 'hang out'. There's something especially exciting about boys + vacation time = summer romance? Fresh meat different from that at home?

(but my parents are very strict so all this remained fantasy because passing a note in their presence would have been suicide!)