Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Girl Crush

I - I don't know, judge me if you must - develop a lot of girl crushes. There was one today on the metro. She was wearing the cutest little shift dress, with sandals just like the ones I bought yesterday, and similar curly hair to mine, but much shorter (maybe my crushes come purely from vain). But! So out of character for me, she had a huge tattoo on her arm. Not quite a full sleeve, but definitely not cover-up-able. She also was sporting the cutest indie-chic big, bulky headphones, kind of bopping her head to the music a bit.

Actually, when I saw her, I thought "this is the kind of girl my boyfriend would LOVE." I don't even know how I could assume that - except for the fact he's a hippie-ish music lover with a tattoo - but I did. And annoyingly - and also so out of character for me - I began to feel insecure. Like me, the conservative Christian girl who would never ever get a tattoo and occasionally enjoys Top 40, should never deserve his indie-open-loving affection.

I dated this guy freshman year for like two seconds who was a pretentious musician wannabe. He was skinnier than me and thought smoking cigarettes would be good for his image and one of the other guitar-players on our hall called him a "whore" because he tried to play his guitar for anyone at anytime. A million girls had crushes on him and I could feel the hearts breaking around me when he played at the campus open-mic. At the time, I was proud that he "picked" me. But I was also weirded out - what would a guy like him want with a silly, preppy, conservative girl like me?

I've always said that I don't have a type. Maybe others stick to their types less, and I should stop stereotyping and start enjoying.

2 comments:

WPZ - Sandy said...

Man I am so loving your blog, glad you popped by mine and I'll be reading your backlog during work so you MAY get a lot of comments from me today! Not a stalker, really! :)

I had come over to comment on the Cali transplant thing, but if you ever have any questions about it, feel free to chat me up!

WPZ - Sandy said...

To /actually/ comment on the blog...
I develop girl crushes too, but mostly it's been at work lately, on the women here who are so fabulous at their jobs and you know have done quite well for themselves in their field of passion. And then creative people in the online world too, and my best girl friends are some of my crushes too, in a muse-oh-I-so-love-how-great-you-are kind of way.

AND, another comment: so dumb, those boys who /purposely/ smoke for image. I totally also 'saw' a guy like that for two seconds, as in met through a friend at a show, then we met up for drinks once and made out, but never really hung out again after that. He smoked like a chimney, like just so over-the-top excessively. I don't imagine he was actually getting any enjoyment out of it, it was more like 'this is part of who I want to be, so I just need to keep a lit one in my hand at all times.'