Monday, April 21, 2008

Act Like a Man

I love stumbling across blogs, written by people as nerdy and excited about one topic as I am.

Edward Keenan's Act Like a Man blog is an interesting read. Basically, his goal is to get "guys" to well...do the title.

Why do so many "guys" prefer not to be called "men," and shirk their responsibilities and be less romantic and miscommunicate with the girls they crush on? I always blamed it on the rise of feminism, but Ed (we're so totally on a first-name basis) thinks that's a totally lame excuse.

Recently, a cute boy asked me, "Are you a feminist?"

I said no. I think partially because I wanted him to like me. But also because I would have no problem staying home, cooking delicious food, and raising beautiful babies.

However, both the cute boy and good ol' Ed made me realize my wrong ways.

The definition of feminism is simply advocating equal political (and social) rights between men and women. Why yes! I DO want to be treated equally!

Well...almost. I want to be treated special. Because I get to have babies.

Not yet, obviously, and I would probably even like the chance at a career before that happens. And I want someone to help me make and make a home for those babies.

So, can I have a career and have some babies AND not emasculate my baby-making partner? Ed thinks so. Ed also thinks that partner should step it up.

I think I found a cute boy who is stepping it up. Oh no, am I actually dating a MAN!? Not a "guy?" Not simply a cute boy?

3 comments:

csj50 said...

...There are guys that wished not to be called men? There's something I have not experienced (I have told two males on two accounts to be a man. Neither of them went over nicely).

I don't know if I'm a feminist. I don't think that I'm a feminist? (Then again, there is the stereotypical of a loud, angry lesbian, usually protesting; not an image many people want to be associated with) It's sad that there is a label for those that believe women and menshould have the same rights. For me, that is kind of a "duh."

Don't even get me started about dating cute guys. I realize it's not that I"m really that busy for a relationship (but I am very busy), but really...I haven't met a man.

csj50 said...

Oh, and then you have to meet a man that is right for you. It just gets harder.

OhMyHeart said...

i believe in you christina!!